I think we can all agree this has been an awful year. I for one feel like it’s going so fast but there are some weeks where it feels like it never ends.
I want to check in on a few goals I had at the start of the year and see how I am going.
My Goodreads Goal:
My Physical TBR:
I wanted to keep my TBR to around 300, at the end of July it was 337 so that’s been a fail but honestly it is what it is. I own them so I will get to them eventually but I do want to focus on getting that number down if I can. I don’t want to unhaul any of these because I only by books I have an interest in reading.
1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2020
In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children Book 4) by Seanan McGuire
- I can’t stop thinking about this. I really enjoyed this. In An Absent Dream could have also been my biggest surprise because I haven’t been that impressed by this series but this is definitely my favourite book so far this year.
2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2020
Heartstopper Volume Three by Alice Oseman
- This graphic novel series is one of my favs. They bring me so much joy.
3. New release you haven’t read yet, but want to.
Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust
- This was in my most recent FairyLoot and it is so so pretty. I can’t wait to read it.
4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
The Notorious Virtues by Alwyn Hamilton
- This is one that I don’t hear many people talk about
- The synopsis: “At sixteen, Honora ‘Nora’ Holtzfall is the daughter of the most powerful heiress in Gammamix; her family controls all the money – and all the magic – in the entire country. But when her mother is found murdered in an alley, the family throne and fortune are up for grabs, which means Nora will be pitted against her cousins in the deadly Veritaz trials to determine the rightful inheritor. But there’s a surprise rival in the form of Ottoline, aka Lotte, the illegitimate daughter of Nora’s aunt, who left her with nuns as a baby. Thrown into the Veritaz, she is suddenly surrounded by a hostile family she never knew she had.But as the Holtzfalls wage their battles of privilege, something bigger and more sinister bubbles beneath the surface, and revolution is in the air. Could the balance of power about to be overturned?“
5. Biggest disappointment.
The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody
- I had such high expectations for this. i thought I was going to love it but was so disappointed. I love Xander but the main protagonist really rubbed me the wrong way.
6. Biggest surprise.
- Look I generally don’t like classics because I find the language hard to get into. However these 2 were quite easy to follow and I genuinely liked the plot line
7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you)
Unfortunately I don’t have any new favourites. There are books from authors that I’ve never read before that I like but I wouldn’t call them a new favourite.
8. Newest fictional crush.
I don’t really do book crushes but I like Xander from The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody he has really good qualities that I enjoy in a partner.
9. Newest favourite character.
Illuminae: The Illuminae Files_01 by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- I love Kate. She is super sassy, super smart and very admirable.
10. Book that made you cry.
Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno
- I don’t really cry when i’m reading books but this was a very emotional and had a lot of depth.
11. Book that made you happy.
Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer
- I was so happy being back in this world. I love The Lunar Chronicles so much. These graphic novels were great.
12. Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year (or received)
There have been some STUNNING covers this year. So I couldn’t pick just one.
13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
All of them. Seriously. I’ll link my Owned TBR Shelf on Goodreads. Feel free to have a gander.
Let me know your favourite book so far this year.